Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pre-texts (no pun intended)

Before reading any of the texts, and you get to know my literary analysis side, I hope to give you a small impression of who I am!
I chose the ARTS ONE program because I actually enjoy writing essays, which, as I understand, is a rare quality. As such, I express my ideas and opinions far better on paper than I do in verbal discussion, so this blog thing may just work well for me!

So here are some literary facts about me:

  • The longest essay I've ever written was 3901 words. It was a literary essay on themes developed by music in Steven Galloway's The Cellist of Sarajevo, a book which I highly recommend!
  • My most recent read was Richard Wagamese's Ragged Company.
  • The first book I remember reading was C.S. Lewis' The Magician's Nephew.
  • The most disturbing book I remember reading so far is a tie between Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits and Yukio Mishima's The Sailor Who fell from Grace with the Sea
  • As far as plays go, I really enjoyed reading Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot  and Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
  • I quite enjoy the poetry of T.S. Eliot as well as Pablo Neruda's political poetry (but not Neruda's non-political works). I'm not a fan of W. B. Yeats' poetry.
  • I am fascinated by George Orwell in all of his works that I have read including 1984 and Animal Farm, as well as many of his essays including Shooting an Elephant,  A Hanging, and How the Poor Die; all of which I highly recommend reading at some point in time.
  • I've been warned about Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness...
Well, that's it for now. Next up: Insights on Genesis and Kant

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoy writing essays. Even stranger, I enjoy reading them too!!

    ReplyDelete